Sunday, March 15, 2009

Did Not Pass Go !


Just back from Pasco and boy are my pecs tired....The WABDL Iron Gladiators World Record Breakers was a fine, fun and exciting meet...my results weren't up to Robert O. Smith's normal standards so for this report I'll be Robert Q. Smith...as you know, all I seem to care about is the big 600 pound bench at 66 years of age...after lifting it at Tumwater last year (but it didn't pass the judges)..I thought I'd be ONE meet away from getting it...well, not so--didn't get it at at the worlds, altho it was close and in Pasco..I didn't even have the balls to try it....Yeah, I won a great sword and a FANTASTIC Medal--but only got my opener with 523 poundsI got 562 up fairly far, before it went all zig zaggy and the spotters had to take it !
So, my first meet this year was a disappointment to me...but it made me respect weights in the high five hundreds again...all is not '6' in this world !!--It was a long story of reasons and miscalculations but it fires me toward improving my techniques and taking it easier on the road to my "Big Goal" --

Jeff Place Deadlifted 600 to open !
Joe Mickelson did 600+ a few weeks ago--but at Pasco Pulled an Sword winning 529--Joe lost 12 pounds in one day to try to get in a lighter weight class...Joe helped many lifters AND drove me and 2 other thru the pass to our destination...

And on the return trip--
he defeated the tough Snoqualmie pass snow storm
4 tires to none...
GOOD JOB JOE !!Here, Gus Rethwisch, President of WABDL congratulates James Crawford on his best lifters Bench of 749 --BTW--just like me --James wasn't happy with his own results ...hah..who wouldn't LOVE a 749 Bench Press?--James is closing in on WAY over 800 !
Here is Adam Cotti deadlifting, and at The OUTBACK. He took home 4 first place swords for a great day of lifting..he even Benched, lifted off for me and Joe in the bench..then had enough to do a great deadlift in the meet...He is from Lake Charles, Louisiana but is stationed in Everett in the Navy...and trains with "Mr. Joe" this guy is one nice person and a very strong lifter indeed ! The highlight of the contest for me was riding to and from the Tri Cities with Joe and Adam !!--great conversations during the long trip !--Here is team Garbush ! Jake in the middle--recently hit a 556 Deadlift--he's trained by his dad (at right) who helped me with my shirt...if it hadn't been for him, I'm sure no one else would've volunteered to shove a Hippo thru the eye of a needle ...big thanks to these friendly people who not only lift or coach but help others...makes Powerlifting the great sport it is !
Jeff Place Helps in the warm up room.
This is the man behind CSS Photos--he took pictures of all the lifts Saturday and is selling a video of the meet ! HERE IS HIS SITE Click
He has a great staff and provides action shots that have appeared in all the magazines.Skip Sandberg benches big in the masters !
James Crawford Best Bencher !
The women did some huge lifts !
Some pretty interesting weather zapped a bit of our fun--a few lifters went home late Sunday..only to find the pass closed due to a huge snow storm...they had to re-route thru Portland and back up I-5 to get home ..that is the long way around...I had worries of that exact thing happening when the bad weather hit months ago--and on MY drive back to BC --I had a storm front following my car all the way home....hate to think I 'showed it the way'--
BUT the lifting made it a good meet right up to the last Barbell Standing There is more on the trip--original pictures, and more about the contest on my regular web page IT'S NOW UP 'CLICK HERE '


4 Comments:

Blogger Eugene Costa said...

I'll still bet on Robert Q. or Robert O. in the long run--he will get there eventually.

Great report, despite the disappointment.

Now I'll go back to my 20lb bar and juggle my three pound Jane Fonda exercise balls, hehe.

You talk about bears getting fat for the winter--I got a gut FROM the winter.

I was just so snowblind I couldn't see it.

5:28 PM  
Blogger Ruth and Fred said...

Pffft...disappointment schmisappointment! You still lifted a crazy-heavy weight, dude! And it's really important to have these little glitches that re-inspire us to pursue greatness.

Way to go, my friend!!
*hands RQ a fridge*
Now just hold that for a sec, will ya? I want to clean underneath it...

9:19 AM  
Blogger Thorndike Pickledish said...

Thanks Ruthita and Hopalong !
Here is one slight coincidence i didn't mention about the meet...for 3 years or so now--from OUT OF THE BLUE..I have extreme trepidation about personally driving over any high or long bridge (never bothered me ALL my life previously) --since the tri cities has a big bridge or two...Gus usually has the artist tie it into the tee shirt design...this year....the shirt is an abstract drawing of an"Iron Gladiator" pulling up on what..at first looks like a bar....look closer..it is the Gladiator TEARING the bridge up from it's roots in the river....ha ha welcome to Pasco..Robert O.

8:55 AM  
Blogger Tony Tomra said...

Thanks for the great meet report. Funny how we all get meets like this. I've always made my best gains after my worst meets. I have no doubt that you will be back stronger later this year. Hope you get to eat all the good stuff out of the fridge before you gota hold it.

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home