Sunday, January 13, 2008

Heavy Sunday--Who's pumped?

Worked out with the lighter weights in the speed mode on Wednesday ! altho it was what I call my boring day--the weights flew and I was sore from the workout til today...When I worked my heavy day at TARGET in Vancouver with my friend Dave...Dave is 45 and a huge dude..it kinda looks like father n' son day at the Fitness place..oddly, no one finds us 'dangerous'

Dave is new to working in Bench Shirts so we took it easy at first...
warm ups RAW
225 X6
-315 for 4 really fast reps
335 for one really Light rep
then 365 for a single--
Dave went to a 390 Raw Bench and made it well...
I brought out my oldest, loosest Titan shirt just to show Dave he could get something down and then back up....

But first, I put it on OVER my tee shirt...did an easy 405-425 and 435...took it off, sweatless.

Then Dave put it on over his Tee and did 405 --and missed with 435 twice...BUT he was really close !

I showed him the speed day version of bands with the bar resisting the bands from underneath the stands (not part of the workout, more of a demo)
we did sets of 225 X 4---he really GETS WHY the bands work so well on DE day.
that is a surprising effect with the band tension making the bar seem like so much more at the top...I imagine him looking for a set of "blues" right away.

Today I did pin presses rather than mess with the 500+ shirt--from that dead stop at chest height I did 225 for 6
315 X4
then went to 385 ---
--the 385 stopped Dave BUT it's a NEW exercise to him...

Believe me, this dude is strong and most people see him as being able to kick my ass in a second...but we're pretty much neck n' neck in the regular bench strength department...plus I have the 'short arms syndrome' which helps me keep the temporary edge...by benching the weight a shorter distance.

I put 495 on the bar with reverse bands then did 515 for 3 reps--Dave was burnt out...I did 545 in the reverse bands...and failed with 565
I got it going 2 0r 3 inches-- new goal in that exercise next time...sure was isometric for a stage there...felt totally pumped and figured it was a good workout...Dave went over and did some JM Presses and then we called it a day--oh, but we also went to Mayfair Magazines a half block up the street --and bought out all the new Powerlifting USA's sorry folks you'll have to go to Magpie on Commercial for yours !

Next week's Heavy day is shirt work at Nancy's with Bruce lifting off --and me trying to lift heavy again...closer to the 551 or more mark !
2 steps forward, you know.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tony Tomra said...

sounds like a fun day It's great to train with someone that is as strong or stronger. New powerlifting usa is? guess I'll have to trip over to spruceland news

11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home